Not all injuries can be seen on the surface of the body. Trauma is a serious accident that can cause internal bleeding and damage to internal organs that may not be visible. It is critical to seek medical attention right away if you have been involved in a serious accident, even if you have no cuts or other obvious external injuries.
Internal injuries are not always immediately apparent, and delay in treatment can lead to serious medical issues. Internal injuries are frequently determined in autopsies to have been the cause of death, even when there was no evidence of injury on the surface of the body. Many sudden or unexpected deaths assigned by physicians to natural causes may actually have resulted from internal injuries caused by blunt-force trauma.
If you or a loved one has suffered internal injuries caused by someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation for your losses. You should seek legal advice immediately – before you discuss the matter with an insurance adjuster and before you sign anything.
Let the law offices of Kraft & Associates, P.C., advise you about your rights after an accident that caused internal injuries. We’re an established and professional law firm with friendly lawyers and staff who are easy to talk to. Please call us at (214) 999-9999 or contact us online.
About Internal Injuries in Accidents
Internal injuries may result from two types of trauma:
- Blunt trauma occurs when a part of the body collides with something else, particularly at high speed or with great force. When this happens, blood vessels inside the body can be crushed or torn. Examples of the types of accidents that may cause blunt trauma internal damage include car accidents, falls, motorcycle crashes, workplace accidents, pedestrian accidents and commercial truck collisions.
- Penetrating trauma occurs when an object penetrates the body and tears holes in blood vessels, muscle and internal organs. This can happen with gunshot or knife wounds. It can also occur when someone falls onto a sharp object, as in workplace accidents, or when objects collide with and penetrate the body in motor vehicle accidents.
Trauma from accidents, either blunt or penetrating, can cause a variety of internal injuries, including the following:
- Internal bleeding: This can occur anywhere in the body where blood vessels are crushed or torn.
- Liver damage: Because of its location and construction, the liver is one of the most commonly injured organs when abdominal trauma occurs.
- Kidney injury: Up to 10 percent of all patients who sustain significant abdominal trauma suffer damage to the kidneys, also known as renal trauma.
- Punctured lungs: A fall, car accident or other trauma can result in a blow to the body that causes a punctured lung. Broken ribs may also cause lung punctures.
- Spleen damage: Spleen injuries can result from falls, motor vehicle accidents, workplace accidents and other accidents.
- Diaphragm rupture: The diaphragm – the muscle that lies across the bottom of the rib cage – ruptures in approximately 5 percent of cases of blunt trauma to the trunk of the body. The diaphragm plays an important role in the function of breathing.
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm: The aorta is the main vessel supplying blood from the heart to the body. It is approximately the thickness of a garden hose, and it extends from the heart through the center of the chest and abdomen. When trauma causes an aneurysm (blood-filled balloon-like bulge) in the aorta, life-threatening bleeding can occur if the aneurysm ruptures.
Find a Lawyer for Internal Injury Victims in Dallas
If you or a loved one has suffered internal bleeding or organ damage in an accident caused by the negligence of another, you should consult with an experienced Dallas personal injury attorney as soon as possible. You may be entitled to pursue compensation for your losses, including:
- Medical expenses.
- Lost wages.
- Lost future wages.
- Mental and physical pain and suffering.
- Loss of consortium.
The knowledgeable Dallas personal injury attorneys at Kraft & Associates, P.C., are ready to help you pursue the maximum compensation you need and deserve. Our aggressive lawyers can negotiate skillfully on your behalf and fight for your rights in court if necessary.